For almost one hundred years, Swinton Pottery was one of the most important businesses of Swinton. Swinton Pottery was operational between 1745 and 1842.
It was originally founded by Edward Butler. From 1787 it was operated by a company called, Greens, Bingley & Company. In 1806, the firm became Brameld & Company – John and William Brameld previously being partners in Greens, Bingley & Company.
It was during the Brameld era that the company took on the name of the Rockingham Pottery and its products were sold all around the world.
The Waterloo kiln is the only remaining kiln of the three originally built.