Death of Mary Ann Marsden (nee Pinder)

Leeds Infirmary

Leeds Infirmary

Mary Ann Pinder is my second great aunt. She was born in 1855 to parents, Thomas Pinder and Mary Shackleton.

In July 2009 after meeting a distant cousin, I learnt that Mary had died as a result of a boiler explosion. Because Mary didn’t seem to reveal her true age on Census Returns, trying to find a corresponding death entry was difficult. Mary married Sam Marsden in Rotherham in 1895 and below is a newspaper entry pertaining to her death.



Five deaths at the Leeds Infirmary were investigated by the City Coroner (Mr. J. C. Malcolm) at the Town Hall yesterday.

Three of the cases were the results of burning accidents, and the victims were Harry Haigh Fern, two years of age, of 11, Parsonage View, Leeds; Reginald Fletcher, aged three years, of 1, Tennyson Street, Pudsey; and Mary Ann Marsden (48), wife of the caretaker at the Girls’ High School, Headingley Lane, Leeds. The clothing of the two children caught fire while they were playing with matches, and in the case of Mrs. Marsden her blouse was set alight at a gas stove. Verdicts of “Accidental death” were returned in each case.

Jas. Alderson, aged 10 years, of 7, Dalmeny Terrace, Rodley, fell a distance of seven and a half feet from a warehouse “landing” whilst at play on Saturday. He died from hemorrhage caused by the injuries. The jury agreed that the boy’s death was accidental. Frederick George Sales (53), out porter, of 4, Wharfedale Street, Leeds, died whilst under anaesthetic. The jury concurred with the doctor’s statement that an operation was necessary in consequence of internal injuries, and returned a verdict that death was due to misadventure.