In the 18th Century, Swinton was the junction of the Dearne & Dove canal. Boat building was first started in 1770 and carried on by Thomas Scholey and present day, E.V. Waddington. The canal ran for nine miles from Swinton to Hoyle Mill. Due to reduced demand and infrastructural maintenance difficulties, much of the Swinton canal was filled in, in the 1960s.