Saint Margaret’s Church was designed by Mr. Pritchard of York at a cost of around £6,000. Earl Fitzwilliam of Wentworth paid for most of this cost. Saint Margarets’ and the adjoining Churchyard were consecrated on 15th June 1817. Sadly, in 1897, there was a devastating fire in the Church – the tower being the only feature to be saved. The rest of the Church was subsequently rebuilt in a larger form which reopened in 1898.