When Saint Margaret’s Church was erected in 1816, Swinton’s Norman chapel of ease was demolished. In its place was built a Glebe House which in the early 19th century was converted into an infants’ school. A Glebe House is a church house provided for a member of the clergy.
In 1911, the above Glebe House was demolished and in 1913, Saint Margaret’s Church Hall was built in its place. Whilst preparing the land for the construction of the Church Hall, the remains of ten people were found. It is thought that they were victims of the Plague and had been buried in a mass grave. The remains were exhumed and interred in Saint Margaret’s Churchyard.
The Church Hall was, over the years, used for a number of different purposes. As well as serving the Church’s social functions, schoolchildren from the nearby Fitzwilliam School would eat their dinners and perform P.E. here. It was also used by social clubs, such as Swinton’s badminton club.
As of November 2017, the Church Hall is surplus to the requirements of Saint Margaret’s Church and is up for sale.
Leave a Reply