Swinton’s first Church, located at Chapel Hill, was a chapel of ease to Wath and was built in the 12th Century. When the present day Saint Margarets’ was built in 1816, this chapel was demolished. However, John Brameld of Rockingham Pottery saved the chancel arch of this chapel and the doorway and it was re-erected in the vicarage field to the rear of Saint Margaret’s Church. Much of this has since crumbled and has been taken down and buried. Repair work was carried out on the remaining stonework circa 2004.