Below is a newspaper article published shortly after John’s marriage to Annie Eliza Gregg.
MEXBOROUGH AND SWINTON TIMES.
June 7 1895.
WALKER – GREGG. – June 3, at Swinton Parish Church, Mr. J. W. Walker to Miss A. Gregg, third daughter of Mr. S. Gregg, of Swinton.
WEDDING AT SWINTON. – On Monday morning the marriage of Mr. J. W. Walker, son of Mrs. R. Walker, to Miss A. E. Gregg, third daughter of Mr. S. Gregg, of Rockingham road, was solemnised at Swinton Church. The bride was attired in pale lavender cashmere , with cream hat and orange blossom. The bride was given away by Mr. G. Chapman, brother-in-law, and Mr. Oates acted as best man. The bridesmaids were Miss Walker, sister, who was attired in fawn habit cloth, with hat to match; Miss Mellars, cousin, dressed in coroflower blue habit cloth; and Miss Gregg and Miss Chapman, niece, in pink and white. Among the guests were Mrs. Walker (mother), Mrs. Bury, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Chambers, Mr. and Mrs. J. Walker (Oldham), Mr. and Mrs. Wilson (Hoyland), Mr. and Mrs. H. Walker (Gawber), Mr. and Mrs. F. Hall (Barnsley), Mr. and Mrs. Brailsford, Mr. Pinder (Rotherham), Miss Walker (Gawber), Miss M. E. Walker (Hoyland), Miss M. E. Wilson (Hoyland), Mr. and Mrs. Eaton, Mr. and Mrs. Powell (Barnsley), Mr. Addy, Miss Simpson (of Wombwell), Mr. Addy (Melton), Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Chambers, Mrs. Kenyon, Mr. Roseveare, Miss Gregg, Mrs. Chapman, and Miss Scholey. The guests numbered about 60, and were entertained at Mrs. R. Walker’s. The presents were numerous and costly.